The Florence R. Sabin Award recognizes a unique individual who embodies the spirit of Dr. Florence Sabin (1871-1953) who broke scientific barriers with her research and contributions in the field of Vascular and Lymphatic Biology, as well as various social barriers with her dedication to the advancement of equal rights for women in education, employment, and society in general.
Nomination should be submitted by March 15, 2022.
- Nominee may be of any gender and nationally- or internationally-based.
- Nominee need not be a NAVBO member, but must be an active or retired physician, scientist or physician/scientist in the vascular biology and/or cardiovascular community at large.
- Recipient must be available to attend the meeting or live stream a brief acceptance speech at the International Vascular Biology Meeting (October 13-17, 2022 in the San Francisco Bay area).
Please provide the following:
- A letter of recommendation from the primary nominator who must be a Current Regular or Emeritus Member of NAVBO
- One or two additional letters of recommendation (each a maximum of 500 words). At least one must be submitted by a scientist from a different institution than the nominee.
- Personal Statement of 1,000 words which describes the nominee's relevant contributions promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion in social issues which benefit underrepresented groups, public health, or public service to the broader community, in addition to their scientific/clinical accomplishments. Include any form of financial support relevant to outreach activities.
- Nominee's CV or NIH Biosketch in the prescribed format, see below.*
- Completed online application
B. Positions and Honors
C. Contributions to Science
Briefly describe up to five of the most significant contributions to science. For each, indicate the historical background that frames the scientific problem; central finding(s); the influence of the finding(s) on the progress of science and/or their application to health or technology; and the nominee's scientific role in the described work. Description can include up to four peer-reviewed publications and should not exceed one half page.
D. Up to twenty publications considered most relevant to the criteria of this award, organized into primary research articles, reviews, and books/book chapters, podcasts, newspaper articles, videos, and/or interviews. (Please include the URL or links where available.)
Please complete the form below and upload any letters of recommendation, the nominee's personal statement, and NIH Biosketch/CV.
Nominations will be reviewed by a joint subcommittee of NAVBO’s Meritorious Awards and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committees.
PLEASE NOTE: YOU CANNOT SAVE AND RETURN TO THIS FORM. YOU MUST COMPLETE IT AND SUBMIT.